In 1522 the Ottoman Turks conquered the city after a second long siege. New buildings were constructed: mosques, public baths and mansions for the new patrons. After the establishment of their sovereignty on the island, the Ottoman Turks converted most of the churches into mosques and transformed the major houses into private mansions or public buildings.
|The entrance to the Turkish bath Hammam in Arionos square.Built in the 16th century.||Suleyman Mosque||
The entrance of Mustafa Pasha Mosque
(in Arionos square)
The Suleyman Mosque, built on the site of an earlier Church of the Apostles, was constructed in honor of the Sultan after his conquest of Rhodes in 1522 and rebuilt in 1828. It is open only for prayers and not to the public.
|Wooden balconies (sachnisi) of the Turkish style buildings||The Murad Reis Mosque and cemetery||The Ottoman Library||Mehmet Aga Mosque in Socrates Street|
The Ottoman Library was founded in 1794 by Hafiz Ahmet Aga is situated opposite the Suleyman Mosque. The building is well preserved and has a small courtyard and garden. It houses a priceless collection of handwritten Korans, rare illuminated Persian manuscripts and scrolls written in Turkish, Arabian and Persian The most significant scroll narrates the siege and conquest of the Rhodes by the Turks in 1522. Only the front room can be visited.
The 200-year period of the Knights, is reflected in the building facades with sculptured decorations, the arched gates and hewn stone walls. The Turks enriched these elements with architectural contributions of their own, such as wooden balconies and communal fountains and baths which they adapted to the local climate and culture. There is currently an effort to preserve the remaining Turkish homes. What remains of the Turkish influence on Rhodes can be seen in the mixture of oriental and western architecture in Rhodes Town, reflecting the multifaceted history of the Island.